India has a large section of unorganized workforce who do not get the benefits of government schemes or social security schemes. Out of India’s 50 crore workers, 83% are from the unorganized sector, which does not have access to any government security schemes. People one may pass by on a daily basis such as a milkman, food delivery person, construction worker, street vendor, etc. do not get any pension, PF, or other government benefits. To help these people have a secure future, the government came up with the e-Shram card scheme.
Table of Contents
What is the e-Shram card?
The e-Shram initiative was launched by the Indian government in September 2021. Started by the Ministry of Labour & Employment India, this is a new portal named e-SHRAM Portal for the welfare of workers. This portal will be used to gather information about workers from the unorganized sector. It will include labourers from – construction, agriculture, platform artists, street vendors, domestic staff, and migrant workers. Candidates registering for e-Shram will get a Unique Identification Number (UAN) Card. To help workers with any information needed, a toll-free number 14434 will also be started.
Features of e-Shram card and portal
- The e-Shram portal was launched by Union Employment Minister, Mr. Bhupendra Yadav.
- The portal will be a nationwide database of 50 crore unorganized sector workers
- Database will get seeded from Aadhaar.
- The portal will link labourers, street vendors and domestic workers together
- Users will need to enter their name, address, educational qualifications, skill type, family relations, etc.
- Registered users will receive a 12 digit unique id which will be valid across the country.
- From the database collected, workers will get divided into different categories basis of their work and this will help them is providing employment too.
- Users can use the e-Shram card to receive the benefits of multiple schemes.
- The collected database will aid the government in launching and operating other schemes for workers.
For registering on the e-Shram portal workers will have to produce the following documents:
- Permanent address
- Educational qualification details
- Skill and experience details
- Family members Details
- Aadhaar number
- Must have a valid mobile number linked with Aadhaar card
- Any bank account number
- IFSC code
- Aadhaar card
The e-Shram card registration is completely free of cost for all Indian citizens.
Any worker or labourer with Indian citizenship can apply for e-Shram card if he/she fulfils following conditions:
- Age lies between 16-59 years
- Does not pay income tax to the government
- Is not a member of EPFO or ESIC
Who can apply?
Workers from the unorganized sector from the below-mentioned categories:
- Small and Marginal Farmers
- Agricultural labors
- Milk Pouring Farmers
- Vegetable and fruit vendors
- Migrant Workers
- Sharecroppers Brick Kiln workers
- Fisherman Saw Mill workers
- Animal husbandry workers
- Beedle rolling
- Labeling and Packing
- Carpenters Sericulture Workers
- Salt workers
- Tannery workers
- Building and Constructions workers
- Domestic workers
- Newspaper vendors
- Rickshaw pullers
- Auto drivers
- Sericulture workers
- House Maids
- Street Vendors
- ASHA Workers
Benefits of e-Shram card
- Financial support, including payment during any pandemic
- Social security scheme benefits
- More job opportunities
- Premium waved for 1 Year for PM Suraksha Bima Yojana Insurance Cover
- Track migrant labourers workforce
e-Shram card registration process
Visit the e-Shram card portal.
Click on the button Register for e-Shram on bottom right of the screen.
On the new screen, mention your Aadhaar linked mobile number, captcha, and tick Yes/No for EPFO and ESIC options.
Click on Send OTP. Once OTP is received, enter it on screen and click on Submit.
Next, enter your Aadhaar number and tick checkbox for “I agree” statement. Then click on submit.
You will again get an OTP on your Aadhaar linked mobile number. Enter that on screen and click on Validate.
The Registration Form will open next and all your details from Aadhaar will be seeded.
Give it a brief check before scrolling to bottom of the screen. Click on checkbox for “I agree” statement and then click on button “Continue to enter other details”.
Fill in all the personal details and nominee details on following screen and click on Save and Continue.
On the next screen, enter all your details regarding residential. Click on Save and Continue.
Enter all your educational qualification details on the next screen. Click on Save and Continue.
Enter all your occupation details on next screen and click on Save and Continue.
Proceed to next screen to enter all your bank details and click on Save and Continue.
Review the full form on next screen and tick on checkbox for statement. Then click on Submit.
Your e-Shram card is ready to be downloaded.
Lastly, click on Complete Registration to finish the process.
Watch the e-Shram card registration process in the video below.
Join the LLA telegram group for frequent updates and documents.
Download the telegram group and then search ‘Labour Law Advisor’ or follow the link – t.me/JoinLLA.