Legal drafting is one of the most important skills in the field of law. It is imperative that lawyers should be proficient enough with writing in order to get success. But it will take time to master the skills with practice.
For this, we need to understand the definition of legal drafting. Legal Drafting defines as the preparation of documents for legal purposes.
Now we have understood the definition, we should jump right in and provide you with 7 important tips which help you in improving your drafting skills.
1)Read one Judgment daily
- Reading the judgments helps to understand the procedure and methods to be written.
- Secondly, it helps to understand the petitioner and respondent’s side of arguments from judgments of the supreme court.
- Thirdly, it helps to gain knowledge on a particular law which could be useful while drafting the document.
- There are different sites to read judgments like India Kanoon, Latest Laws, Legal Service India, etc.
2)Improve your Language
- English is a medium of a language that is used everywhere in all professions like law.
- It helps to improve your vocabulary which is useful in drafting the documents in a better manner.
- It also helps in bridging the language gap, especially in a country like India where there are numerous languages.
- There are different ways to improve the language like reading books, articles on sites, newspapers, magazines, and watching movies or shows.
- Another method to improve your vocabulary is to learn 10 new words a day by maintaining a book
- Reading the petitions helps in understanding the technicalities of the terms used and the flow of arguments.
- It could also help in identifying the minor details which could prevent making errors in drafting.
- It is always recommended to read senior advocates’ petitions that are available online which could be useful in drafting the document. The best tip is to draft the petitions in a simplified manner without using technical jargon.
4)Keep a check on Grammar
- If you have a document that consists of grammatical errors then it makes the readers unimpressed.
- So it is imperative to prevent grammatical mistakes and make the document more presentable and appealing.
- There are different ways to reduce grammatical errors by reading books, judgments about previous cases, writing short sentences, etc. Nowadays, there are different software that helps to solve grammatical errors such as Grammarly which reduces time and effort.
5)Maintain notes on clients
- Making notes is important to get information from the client and be used as a reference for documentation.
- It helps to draft documents in a clear and concise manner.
- It is advisable to make brief notes including date and time which helps in reducing time and effort rather than reading a 1000 page document. Another option is to use the phone to record the information which is saved and be used when required
- It is important to research about latest legal development like amendments to different acts, sections of the laws, etc that could help in drafting documents.
- This also helps in focusing on the facts of the case not to mention identifying the point of law in the disputed issue.
- It also helps in preparing arguments used in the courts and laying down evidence backed by the research.
- There are different ways to research laws by reading Bareacts, published law books, the internet, etc
7)Take a draft
- For young advocates, drafting documents is a tough process because they have to find out the format, footnotes, etc.
- It is advisable to have a written draft because it reduces time and effort in finding out the procedure and helps advocates to make the clients understand the steps to be taken.
- It is also important to collect drafts from your colleagues and senior advocates. But it is a complicated job that could take a mental strain on the advocates.
In order to make things easier, we have decided to give you a free gift i.e., the Free Jagruk Lawyer Course which consists of drafts of different types of laws like criminal, company, etc. that could help you in your drafting process. If you do like our drafts, do purchase our course because it consists of more than 6000 documents which could be used according to your requirements
FREE COURSE LINK- Mini Jagruk Lawer Kit
Jagruk Lawyer Kit
Legal drafts are meant to be persuasive. Legal drafting has a specific framework that begins with a strong foundation. Grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and tone are all very important in the law office. In today’s world, it is one of the most important skills for lawyers to master especially in the courts, corporate, and law firms. But using the above tips will help you to draft documents in a clear and concise manner which makes it easier for the clients.
Still, have any legal doubt, contact the Legal Experts of AapkaConsultant.com
(अपनी क़ानूनी समस्या को 1 कॉल पर अभी सॉल्व करे )